However: A range of countries (more than 130) subscribe to the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT). By filing a PCT Application within 12 months of your first patent application (whether provisional or complete), you can extend the filing date for separate national patent applications by 18 months.
This gives you extra time to:
* Refine and improve your invention
* Do research on whether it is economically viable to file in certain countries
* Make changes to the application before filing national applications
* Do a thorough search and investigation
* Test the invention and raise development capital
Click on this link for the PCT Applicant's Guide
You can find links to the patent offices in various countries on our Intellectual Property Resources page.
Return from PCT Application to Free Legal Documents
Before making any decisions about a PCT application or international filing, you should consult with a patent attorney in your home country for advice on the best way to proceed.
Need more free legal forms and free legal documents?
Let's hear your verdict about what you've read here!