Internet copyright infringement is rife and can be a huge source of frustration for webmasters or owners of copyright. You do not have to put up with it!
The sample letter on this page is aimed at the Web Host (and/or) the Domain Registrar of an infringing site.
We've had very quick action from them on our behalf in having stolen content removed - a great help when an infringing webmaster simply ignores your cease and desist letter.We've compiled a variety of free Copyright Forms to assist you in putting a stop to it.
Take a look at the guidelines on that page to decide on your best course of action.
Name - Webmaster: http://www.1.mysite.com
1. I am the owner of the Website http://www.1.mysite.com. I am also the owner of the copyright in the material published on the Website. It has come to my attention that the site listed below publishes several of the pages and images that can be accessed on my Website.
The following is a list of the URL's for my pages or images which have been copied on your site(s).
The above have been copied at the following URL's:
In the circumstances I hereby request the removal or disabling of access to the above infringing material published on the site listed.
2. I can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The Webmaster of the above site can be contacted on: email@example.com or through the Contact Form on http://www.an.infringer.com/contact.html or at the following:
4. This wholesale misappropriation of my copyright works has not been authorized by me and is an infringement of my exclusive rights as copyright owner. Copyright in the work has not been registered.
However, I believe that a review of the records at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.1.mysite.com will clearly establish my ownership in the work.
5. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information contained in this Copyright Claim is accurate, and that I am the copyright owner.
6. I have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
Further to the above - I sent a Notice of Copyright Infringement to the webmaster of the infringing material on ______________20___ to the following Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org as well as through the contact form on the site http://www.an.infringer.com/contact.html requesting the removal of the material. To date I have not received a response.
Name and electronic signature
Web hosting companies will not be party to infringement of internet copyright. If you have a bona fide case they will be quick to respond to your notice.
You are here: